We all want to stop single-use plastic, and in 2020 we are closer than ever to our goal of completely eradicating it from our products, postage and packaging. Delighted to receive recognition from Surfers Against Sewage for our efforts and become Plastic Free Champions! Of course, it is never quite that simple trying to do the right thing, but this is where we are:
- all blank greetings cards supplied with no plastic packaging at all
New from Easter 2020 our blank greetings cards are now all individually prepared with an envelope inserted and closed with an easy-peel, biodegradable label. Multi-buy discount will still apply for orders for 5 cards or more.
- our calendars, Cornish Language and Christmas cards will usually be supplied in biodegradable wrappers, while we finish up our present stock (rather than putting it to landfill), as will special offers for subscribers.
We've actually been selling our calendar in a biodegradable wrapper for several years already. The products we are using are made from PLA (Polylactic acid), derived from corn-starch. It fully biodegrades down into water, CO2 and biomass in 60 days under Industrial Composting conditions (58 degrees C) or incineration, or can also be put in some (non-dry) land-fills. So it can go in appropriate kerbside recycling, although it may still be identified as plastic and picked out. Unfortunately home composting may not reach the correct temperature and humidity, or the necessary microbes and bacteria may not be present. Certified
OK Biobased ****
- all bubble-wrap lined parcel envelopes have been replaced with shredded paper products, meaning that all of our postal packaging is now plastic free.
Again, we've been moving towards this with cardboard envelopes for small calendar orders. We are now using a range of plastic-free envelopes - which of course are odd sizes, more expensive and heavier to send (so more expensive in more ways than one!). This raises other sustainability issues, but we are dealing with them one at a time. Don't worry about the rise in costs - we haven't put up prices.
- we offer retailers the option of unwrapped calendars and have produced counter-top display holders for sale purposes
Not all retailers have space for this and may prefer to stick with displaying calendars for sale on hooks for now ...
Additionally, one or two retailers have asked for greetings cards to continue to be wrapped during the coronavirus outbreak, which we are happy to comply with while we can.
- we pack customer orders without wrappers if requested to do so
We have been trialling this for a time and so far have received nothing but positive comments. Before you choose this option, please consider whether there is somewhere secure and dry should your parcel need to be left. If you would like to place an order without PLA wrappers, please let us know in the 'special instructions' box at checkout - and we'd be delighted to oblige!
- we continue to look for innovative ways of marketing our products
'A Year in Cornwall' - 12 pre-packed cards with envelopes in a cardboard sleeve. No plastic in sight! This has to be the way to go, we think, and we will continue to keep innovating and adding value to our product range.